Highlights of Railway Budget 2013-14
· No hike in passenger fares.
· Supplementary charges for super fast trains, reservation fee, clerkage charge, cancellation charge and Tatkal charge marginally increased
· New trains / extension and frequency increase
· 67 new Express trains to be introduced. 26 new passenger services, 8 DEMU services and 5 MEMU services to be introduced. Run of 57 trains to be extended. Frequency of 24 trains to be increased
· New ‘Azadi Express’ to connect places associated with freedom movement
· Mumbai Suburban Service
· AC EMU rake to be introduced on Mumbai suburban network in 2013-14.
· 72 additional services to be introduced in Mumbai and 18 in Kolkata
· Indian Railway in the billion club
· Freight loading of 1047 MT, 40 MT more than 2012-13. Railways set to enter 1 billion ton freight club of China, Russia and US
· Highest ever plan outlay of Rs. 63,363 crore.
· Gross Traffic Receipts – Rs. 1,43,742 crore i.e. an increase of 18,062 crore over RE, 2012-13
· Freight earning to grow by 9 per cent to Rs 93,554 crore.
· Dividend payment estimated at Rs. 6,249 crore
· 12th Plan railway size to be Rs 5.19 lakh crore, with gross budgetary support of Rs 1.94 lakh crore.
· Rs 1 lakh crore to be raised from public-private partnership, Rs 1.05 lakh crore through internal resources in the 12th Plan
· Railway services
· Passenger growth 5.2% in 2013-14
· Operating Ratio to be 87.8% in 2013-14
· Increased duration for internet ticketing from 0030 hours to 2330 hours
· E-ticketing through mobile phones to be introduced.
· Next –Gen e-ticketing system to be rolled out : capable of handling 7200 tickets per minute against 2000 now
· SMS alerts to passengers providing updates on reservation status
· Railways to use Aadhar data base for bookings and validation of passengers
· Provision of announcement facility and electronic display boards in trains.
· Free Wi-Fi facilities on select trains.
· Pilot project on select trains to facilitate passengers to contact on board staff through SMS/phone call/e-mail for coach cleanliness and real time feedback.
· Introduction of an ‘Anubhuti’ coach in select trains to provide excellent ambience and latest facilities and services
· 179 escalators and 400 lifts at A-1 and other major stations to be installed facilitating elderly and disabled.
Provision of wheel chairs and battery operated vehicles at more stations and making coaches
· Braille stickers with layout of coaches including toilets to be affixed.
· Introduction of executive lounge at 7 more stations: Bangalore, Nagpur, Jaipur, Patna, Agra, Visakhapatnam and Bilaspur.
· Upgrading 60 stations as Adarsh Stations in addition to 980 already selected
· Centralized Catering Services Monitoring Cell set up with a toll free number (1800 111 321)
· Setting up of six more Rail Neer bottling plants at Vijayawada, Nagpur, Lalitpur, Bilaspur, Jaipur and Ahmedabad
· Railway Safety
· Provision of portable fire extinguishers in Guard-cum-Brake Vans, AC Coaches and Pantry Cars in all trains
· Railway Security
· 10% Railway Protection Force vacancies being reserved for women
· Four companies of women RPF personnel set up and another 8 to be set up to strengthen the security of rain passengers, especially women passengers
· Newlines / doubling / gauge conversion/ electrification
· 500 km new lines, 750 km doubling, 450 km gauge conversion targeted in 2013-14
· Electrification of 1,200 km to be completed this year
· Railway facilities
· New coach manufacturing and maintenance facilities to be set up in various places including Rae Bareli, Bhilwara, Sonepat, Kalahandi, Kolar, Palakkad and Pratapgarh.
· Railway safety
· 10797 Level Crossings (LC) to be eliminated during the 12th Plan
· New Self Propelled Accident Relief Trains capable of travelling at 160 kmph to be introduced.
· Plan for elephant corridor safety to prevent killing of elephants.
· Setting up of a centralized training institute at Secunderabad–Indian Railways Institute of Financial Management
· Setting up of a multi-disciplinary training institute at Nagpur for training in rail related electronics technologies
· Five fellowships in national universities to be instituted to motivate students to study and undertake research on Railway related issues at M.Phil and Ph.D. levels
· Railways to impart skills to the youth in railway related trades in 25 locations
· Welfare measures
· 1.52 lakh vacancies being filled up this year out of which 47000 vacancies have been earmarked for weaker sections and physically challenged.
· Fund allocation for staff quarters enhanced to Rs. 300 crore
· Provision of hostel facilities for single women railway employees at all divisional headquarters
· Provision of water closets and air conditioners in the locomotive cabs for drivers.
· Complimentary card passes to recipients of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna & Dhyan Chand Awards to be valid for travel by 1st Class/2nd AC
· Complimentary card passes to Olympic Medalists and Dronacharya Awardees for travel in Rajdhani/Shatabadi Trains
· Passes for freedom fighters to be renewed once in three years instead of every year.
PIB Del/SS/PIB Mum/MD/
New Trains connecting Maharashtra
Mumbai – Hazrat Nizamuddin AC Express (Weekly) via Bhopal
Mumbai – Solapur Express (6 Days a week) Via Pune
Mumbai – Hubli Express (Weekly) Via Miraj, Pune
Mumbai – Kakinada Express (Bi-weekly)
Bandra Terminus – Jaisalmer Express (Weekly) Via Marwar, Jodhpur
Bandra Terminus – Hisar Express (Weekly) Via Ahmedabad, Palanpur
Bandra Terminus – Haridwar Express (Weekly) Via Valsad
Bandra Terminus – Ramnagar Express (Weekly) Via Nagda, Mathura,
Lokmanya Tilak Terminus, (Kurla) – Ajni (Nagpur) Express (Weekly) Via Hingoli
Lokmanya Tilak Terminus, (Kurla) – Kochuveli Express (Weekly)
Lokmanya Tilak Terminus, (Kurla) -Nizamabad Express (Weekly)
Sai Nagar (Shirdi) – Kalka Express (Bi-weekly) Via Hazrat Nizamuddin
Sai Nagar (Shirdi) – Puri Express (Weekly) Via Sambalpur, Nagpur
Trains crossing through Maharashtra
Bikaner – Chennai AC Express (Weekly) Via Jaipur, Nagpur,
Jabalpur – Yesvantpur Express (Weekly)Via Nagpur
Gandhidham – Visakhapatnam Express (Weekly) Via Ahmedabad, Wardha