HAVE FEET….WILL RUN; HAVE SPIRIT…WILL TRIUMPH
101 and still STRONG…exemplifies that age IS JUST A NUMBER
101 year Centenarian Marathon Runner Fauja Singh at the Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon 2013 Media Center.
Fauja Singh, centenarian marathon runner and a world record holder in his age bracket started running at the age of 88. Known as the Turbaned Tornado, his current personal best is the 2003 London Marathon with 6:02:00, and his marathon record, for age 90-plus, is 5 hours 40 minutes, at the age of 92, at the 2003 Toronto Waterfront Marathon.
This year, Fauja Singh will be participating in the Senior Citizen’s run- 4.3 km. This being his first Mumbai marathon, he expressed, “Every bit of money that has been raised is for charity. Whether Marathons or local religious tournaments, all the raised funds will go to charity. This is what has kept me blessed and healthy. My son, who lives in England, has been my source of inspiration. We were seeing a marathon once and I wondered why the people were running aimlessly. I decided to run my first 20 kms in the London Marathon in 1992 under the training of my coach Mr Harminder Singh. He graphed my career and today I view life differently”.
A man of substance, Fauja Singh makes it a point to consume healthy foods and trains regularly.”Keep running” is what he advices the youth of today.
Singh plans to keep the Hong Kong Marathon in April 2014 as his last official race, but if he feels fit and fine, he will continue after that as well. He admits that it is the West that has given him massive support and acknowledgement by making him the only person in the world to have the honour of carrying the Olympic Torch twice.
- Rediscovered at age of 81
- Marathons run: London (5), Toronto (2), New York (1)
- Marathon debut: London, 2000, aged 89
- London Flora Marathon 2000: 6:54
- London Flora Marathon 2001: 6:54
- London Flora Marathon 2002: 6:45
- Bupa Great North Run (Half Marathon) 2002: 2:39
- London Flora Marathon 2003: 6:02
- Toronto Waterfront Marathon 2003: 5:40
- New York City Marathon 2003: 7:35
- London Flora Marathon 2004: 6:07
- Glasgow City Half Marathon 2004: 2:33
- Capital Radio Help a London Child 10,000 m 2004: 1:08
- Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon 2004: 2:29:59
- Toronto Waterfront Marathon 2011: 8:11:06
- Hong Kong Marathon (10 km) 2012: 1:34 (raised $25,800 for charity)