“Assam is known for its natural beauty and tranquility, but I also discovered another amazing facet – its inner beauty… the people and rural landscapes” – Priyanka Chopra
- Priyanka Chopra, the newly appointed Brand Ambassador of Assam, observed while interacting with leading stakeholders of the Indian Travel & Tourism Industry at the Assam Travel Trade Conclave 2016
- Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma, Tourism Minister of Assam, unveiled the state’s new Transformational Sustainable Tourism roadmap and launched ‘Aamaar Aalohi’ – state’s new innovative semi-urban and rural Homestay Scheme
- In addition to attending the conclave, Priyanka Chopra also visited the famed Kamakhya Temple, interacted with the Assamese people, enjoyed the traditional cuisine and draped the exquisite Mekhela Chador
Guwahati, Assam: Speaking at the Assam Travel Trade Conference 2016, Bollywood Star, International Celebrity and the newly appointed Brand Ambassador of Assam, Priyanka Chopra observed that though she has travelled to the most beautiful places of the world, she fell in love with Assam.
Commenting on her appointment as the Brand Ambassador of Assam, Priyanka Chopra, said: I have been to Guwahati on many occasions for various events and shows and even during those brief visits and the glimpses I had left me with a strong desire to explore the city and state further. Today, after my visit to the beautiful Kamakhya Temple, I’m even more keen to uncover the uncharted beauty of Assam because I know that there is so much to see.
Assam gives you so many reasons to fall in love with it. I have had many discussions with the team here and when I looked at what Assam had to offer to tourists, not just in India but across the world, I was honored to come on board as the Brand Ambassador of Assam. I am looking forward to Discovering Assam and am excited to take it to the world.”
Organized on Christmas eve by Assam Tourism Development Corporation Ltd., Government of Assam, the Assam Travel Trade Conclave 2016, the event was presided over by Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma, Honorable Minister of Tourism, Assam, Priyanka Chopra, Mrs. T.Y. Das, Chief Secretary, Tourism Dept., Govt. of Assam, Mr. R.C. Jain, Secretary, Tourism Dept. Govt. of Assam, Mr. Anurag Singh, Managing Director, Assam Tourism Development Corporation Ltd. (ATDC) and other key Government and Ministry officials, key stakeholders of the Travel and Tourism Industry, and members of the media. Further, in addition to attending the conclave, Priyanka Chopra also visited the famed Kamakhya Temple, interacted with the Assamese people, enjoyed the traditional cuisine and draped the exquisite Mekhela Chador designed by famed Assamese designer Sanjukta Dutta.
Speaking at the event Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma also made key state Tourism Policy related announcements. Elaborating on his Government’s approach and focus Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma, said: “The concept of Awesome Assam has been inspired by the vision of our Honourable Chief Minister Shri Sarbananda Sonowal. His strong leadership and support has made it possible for us to embark on this journey of taking Brand Assam to the world.
“Further, Assam is probably one of the world’s most naturally beautiful destinations that exists which has not been affected by concretization. We are also a state of our villages and our simple yet beautiful people. After a lot of research and due consideration, we are convinced that leveraging these key strengths of our state to position it as amongst the world’s leading destinations for ‘Transformational Sustainable Tourism’ and the ideal location to ‘Rediscover Yourself’. This in-turn leads to significant tourism revenue to the state and exponential sustainable job-creation is the most optimal approach. The appointment of Priyanka Chopra as our brand Ambassador, our soon to be announced Tourism Policy and our new Home-stay scheme are all key steps and fully in-line with this approach.
“While this is our approach, and while the Government is taking various steps on-ground to make this a reality, in today’s world of branded communication, it is also essential that we make every effort to communicate Awesome Assam and our efforts to the rest of the world. It was thus imperative that we appoint a brand ambassador who not only embodies the values and aspirations of Assam but also is well disposed to take this transformation and our story to the world at large. Priyanka Chopra was a perfect fit and we are delighted to have her as our Brand Ambassador and the face of our Awesome Assam journey,” added Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma.
Key Highlights of Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma’s address at the event, also included the launch of ‘Aamaar Aalohi’ – an innovative semi-urban and rural Homestay initiative and the state’s plans of launching a new Global advertising and promotions campaign featuring Brand Ambassador Priyanka Chopra. The focus of the campaign would be to effectively position the state as one of the foremost global sustainable tourist destinations, significantly enhancing tourism revenues of the state especially from international tourists and enhancing employment and revenue opportunities for its rural population.
About Aamaar Aalohi
‘Aamaar Aalohi’ – Rural Homestay Scheme 2016-2017’ is framed by the Tourism Department, Govt. of Assam, with the objectives of giving a new dimension and thrust to the Non-Urban and Rural Homestay Facilities in the State of Assam and creation of self-employment opportunities for educated youths in rural and semi-urban areas of tourism potential and importance.
Key Scheme Highlights:
The present scheme aims at providing comfortable homestay facilities of standardized services to the tourists, and to supplement the availability of accommodation in the rural tourist destinations. The basic idea is to provide a clean and affordable place for foreigner and domestic tourists alike including an opportunity for foreign tourists to stay with Assamese families to experience Assamese customs and traditions and relish authentic Assamese/local cuisine. Under this scheme the following two categories will be executed:-
- Registration of existing Home Stay unit across the state of Assam under Assam Tourism: Each existing homestays which will be registered under the Assam Tourism Home Stay Scheme will be classified as Super-Deluxe, Deluxe and Standard, as per the facilities and services provided. This evaluation will be done Standard and Quality Assurance Committee during the inspection of the house at the initial registration and will be re-classified at the renewal of license every year at the annual inspection
- Setting-up of new Home Stay Units by providing subsidy / margin money assistance from Tourism Department, Govt. of Assam: Subsidy / margin money assistance and other support will be provided for setting- up of new Homestay (as per specifications) to the selected beneficiaries. These units would be selected after identification of existing houses with their premises and must have scope for construction of small units with ethnic design within the same premises. The Tourism Department, Government of Assam has proposed up to 80% subsidy for the new units under this scheme